On May 18, 2018 the Quebec Highway Safety Code introduced a series of updates that included a massive increase in fines for cyclists. Fines for bikes that do not have the required reflectors on their bikes have jumped from $15 to $80-$100.
Our plan was to secure bike reflector kits in time for purchase prior to departure. Unfortunately a delivery of a bulk order this size cannot be guaranteed to arrive in time. We have been working with our local bike shop partners – Cycle Solutions and Sweet Pete’s Bloordale – to find economic ways to address this issue. Both shops have a limited selection of reflectors and/or reflector tape available. We strongly encourage all Riders to call/visit these stores to get the necessary reflectors.
What Should You Do Next?
- Take an inventory of reflectors already on your bike.
- Review the illustration above and the Quebec Highway Safety Code website page on reflector requirements.
- Make a list of reflectors needed.
- Visit Cycle Solutions, Sweet Pete’s or your local bike shop and purchase the reflectors needed.
- Mount reflectors on your bike.