From Murray Jose-Boerbridge, Executive Director of PWA:
On behalf of PWA’s Friends For Life Bike Rally’s Executive Committee, I am excited to invite applications for the Co-Chair for the 21st and 22nd Bike Rally.
The purpose of PWA Friends For Life Bike Rally is to raise critical funds for PWA. The Bike Rally is PWA’s signature and sustaining annual fundraising event and includes both the annual 6-Day Ride from Toronto to Montréal and the 1-Day Ride from Toronto to Port Hope.
It is a unique community-driven event with a leadership structure comprised of a volunteer planning and supervision committee working along-side PWA staff. The event is a year-round planning and management effort led by the Executive Committee (EC), Co-Chairs and Steering Committee.
Following an external Fund Development Review for PWA in 2016 and related recommendations, and recognizing the unique opportunities existing for the 20th anniversary of this critically important event, we are recruiting for the 22st/22nd Co-Chair role almost a year in advance of our regular schedule. This timing will allow the incoming Co-Chair to provide leadership for a multi-year planning project in advance of their stepping into their Co-Chair role for the 21st year.
Because of the Bike Rally’s enormous yearly support, PWA has been a constant and essential support to thousands of people living with HIV/AIDS. In fact, the Bike Rally supports every aspect of PWA’s services, most importantly its practical, therapeutic services and its healing and welcoming space. Every year, over 2,500 people living with HIV/AIDS come to PWA to access financial assistance, food, HIV medication programs and a place to feel safe and connected to a community that cares. The Bike Rally ensures this continuity in critical service for our community.
As we enter this exciting year of the Bike Rally’s 20th anniversary, PWA remains committed as ever to the success and longevity of this amazing event that engages thousands in raising awareness about and critical funds for HIV/AIDS. We see the extraordinary individuals who have participated and dedicated themselves as the key to this events success.
Interested applicants must have at least 1 year experience on the Bike Rally and are invited to speak with myself, Mike Twamley or Michael Reid in order to review the PWA’s Friends for Life Bike Rally Governance Guide and related materials which provide further details and information related to the overall structure, Co-Chair and other roles and for further information about the multi-year planning project.
Multi-year planning responsibilities:
- Oversee research on core essentials and key considerations to be incorporated into multi-year planning.
- Provide leadership and oversight in identifying options and solicit feedback for recommendations.
- Support multi-year planning committee staff and volunteers.
21st and 22nd Co-Chair Responsibilities include:
- Set expectations with Steering Committee members for the applicable year within the context of the BR’s identified long-term priorities, goals and strategic directions as well as those of PWA. This will include goal setting, communications, procedures, processes and documentation.
- Actively participate on the Executive Committee.
- Provide support, coaching, consultation and advice to Steering Committee Members.
- Coordinate Steering Committee meetings.
- Ensure storage of required documentation supporting all committee meeting minutes, processes, procedures, budgets, goals, milestones, maps and work plans.
- Work closely with PWA’s Manager, Philanthropy & Sponsorship and Director, Philanthropy & Communications
- Complete monthly report to the ED for inclusion in overall agency reporting.
Co-Chair Appointment Process:
- Co-Chairs are appointed for a two-year period and an opportunity for a third year term in the Past Co-Chair role on the Executive Committee (EC).
- Appointments are staggered so that there is always a new Co-Chair paired with an experienced Co-Chair. While this allows for some mentorship opportunities based on previous experience in the role, the two roles have equal authority, responsibility and are expected to collaborate fully as a team.
- EC reviews all applications and selects a maximum of 3 candidates for interviews. Formal interviews will be held by at least the incumbent Bike Rally Co-Chair, Director of Philanthropy & Communications and/or Manager of Philanthropy & Sponsorship, and Executive Director, and where possible the outgoing Bike Rally Co-Chair.
- Final interview results and recommendations will be reviewed and approved by the full EC.
On behalf of PWA, I want to thank you for your continued support and dedication to the Bike Rally, and to PWA. I’m excited by the opportunity to undertake this important multi-year planning project thus sustaining the heart and purpose of the event while exploring new and innovative ideas.
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about the Co-Chair. If you are interested in applying for the Co-Chair position, please submit your application form to me at the contact information listed below by Wednesday October 11, 2017.
Many thanks to all of you!
or to PWA at 200 Gerrard St East, 2nd Floor.